Monday, February 12, 2007

Al Gore's Bad Czech?


Hospodárské noviny (magazine reporter): Don't you believe that we're ruining our planet?

Czech president Vaclav Klaus: I will pretend that I haven't heard you. Perhaps only Mr Al Gore may be saying something along these lines: a sane person can't. I don't see any ruining of the planet, I have never seen it, and I don't think that a reasonable and serious person could say such a thing...we know that there exists a huge correlation between the care we give to the environment on one side and the wealth and technological prowess on the other side. It's clear that the poorer the society is, the more brutally it behaves with respect to Nature, and vice versa.• It's also true that there exist social systems that are damaging Nature - by eliminating private ownership and similar things - much more than the freer societies. These tendencies become important in the long run. They unambiguously imply that today, on February 8th, 2007, Nature is protected uncomparably more than on February 8th ten years ago or fifty years ago or one hundred years ago...maybe I am just too naive and I allowed you to provoke me to give you all these answers, am I not? It is more likely that you actually believe what you say....'President of Czech Republic Calls Global Warming a Myth,' Drudge Report, 2/12/2007

President Klaus probably shouldn't expect dinner invitations on his visit to Hollywood.

Luther

No comments: