Friday, August 31, 2007

Pete Seeger Sings Recantation


"I'm singing about old Joe, cruel Joe," the lyrics read. "He ruled with an iron hand / He put an end to the dreams / Of so many in every land / He had a chance to make / A brand new start for the human race / Instead he set it back / Right in the same nasty place / I got the Big Joe Blues / (Keep your mouth shut or you will die fast) / I got the Big Joe Blues / (Do this job, no questions asked) / I got the Big Joe Blues."The Big Joe Blues, by Pete Seeger, cited in "Pete Seeger Speaks -- And Sings -- Against Stalin, Ronald Radosh", The NY Sun, 8/31/2007

Well, blow me down. Pete Seeger, who could never separate his social mission from a lifelong attachment to the Communist Party, admits in song, and to Ronald Radosh, in a long letter, and discussion on the phone, that he should have paid attention.

Don't expect the chorus to be sung by Harry Reid.

Luther

2 comments:

Wonker said...

And Pete better not be expecting an invitation to any hot cocktail parties in Manhattan. He's now on record as speaking against leftist dogma, although he may possibly get a pass because of his age.

A remarkable admission. One I never thought I'd see.

--W

Anonymous said...

Expect whispers of "senility" to start at those cocktail parties.

L