Friday, April 21, 2006

We'll Take Your Untrained, Your Criminals, But Not Your Skilled And Educated


If the federal government ever gets its act together and passes a much-needed immigration reform, I'm giving up my legal career and taking up a profession that will actually allow me to become a U.S. citizen. Like gardening. Or construction. Or anything else that counts as "unskilled." And maybe I'll also fly to Cancun for some sun-and-fun. And come back illegally. (I'm tan and speak fluent Spanish; think I could pass?) Or I'll have a Miami friend take me out on a boat -- so I can come back on a raft. Because I sure ain't gonna get a green card the way I'm going: English-speaking, highly educated, law-abiding, and patriotic. I'm precisely the type of person Uncle Sam would never dream of inviting to be a permanent resident...., Overqualified Immigrant, Ilya Shapiro, TCSDaily.com, 4/21/2006

If you want to know what the real issue in immigration to the US is, read this stunning piece by Russian immigrant Ilya Shapiro. Because of the bizarre qualification hierarchy established by Congress and the INS, someone can come here who's a terminally ill patient, a career criminal, hates American and wants to overthrow its government, or has no education and no skills. Just don't try to come if you're a research scientist, an engineer, a gifted entrepreneur, or love America. This isn't a political error; it's a deep pathology with roots in the Marxist and post-Marxist delusions of the left. It does no favor for the immigrants it accepts, however. Despite the usual lefty claims for progressive intentions, the results are to consign immigrants to do the sh*twork and scorn those who have the capacity to do anything else.

Luther

No comments: